[Project_owners] Display right-click context menu programmatically

Neil neil at parkwaycc.co.uk
Mon Jul 9 01:32:44 PDT 2007

Todd Long wrote:

> I'm having trouble trying to display the right-click context menu
> programmatically (without having to actually right-click). I continue
> to get an exception (see below) that I can't seem to get around and
> was hoping someone else might have a better idea/solution. What I've
> done is setup a window event listener for "click" that executes my
> code below. I'm checking for the left mouse button before attempting
> to show the right-click context menu (popup). Any suggestions/help
> would be great.

The internal popup code does all sorts of other stuff before actually
calling showPopup. In particular, it sets document.popupNode,
document.popupRangeParent and document.popupRangeOffset, of which the
latter two are apparently needed for spellchecking. Although you can set
document.popupNode through script the other two are readonly so you
appear to be out of luck.