[Project_owners] PyXPCOM Help

Benjamin Rose bar234 at psu.edu
Tue Jan 23 15:42:21 PST 2007

I've been fighting with PyXPCOM for days trying to get it to
successfully compile. I wonder if anyone here has had success making
the module and if so, how?

I've been following the instructions at http://developer.mozilla.org/
en/docs/Building_PyXPCOM verbosely. I feel like I'm close, but I'm
not getting the output they describe.

I got to the testing sections when things went wrong. When I execute...

cd suite-debug/dist/bin
export PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:$HOME/mozilla/suite-debug/dist/bin/
python # Adjust this to your PyXPCOM build path
./run-mozilla.sh ./seamonkey -chrome chrome://pyxultest/content

I only get 2 lines of output saying they're registering some Python
modules the first time I run. Then it sits there and does nothing.

If I try to test the xpcom module from a standalone Python
environment I only get

python -c 'from xpcom import components; print components.classes
["@mozilla.org/file/local;1"]'
<xpcom.components._Class instance at 0xb7cf3bec.

Which is close to what they describe on that website, but I'm missing
the last lines about nsStringStats.

Anyone see this before or have an idea of what to do?

Thanks!

-Ben Rose