[Project_owners] prefWindow problems on MacOS X

Didier Ernotte didier at ernotte.com
Wed Jan 17 20:16:05 PST 2007

I don't know if that helps, but the size of the about pane is ok if FF 2.0 under Mac OS X.4.8. Seems to be FF 1.5 on Mac related.

Didier

"Renato R. (RRaver)" <rraver.sp at gmail.com> wrote:     Hi all!
 Recently I rewrote some of my extensions from scratch and everthing worked OK on Fx2 + Windows XP and Fx2 + Ubuntu 6.10, but one of the users reported me a lot of problems in MacOS X 10.4.8 + Fx 1.5.0.8, specially in the Preference window sizing and behaviour. Below some screenshots posted by the user.

 The "Close Window" widget is disabled. Notice that the Minimize widget is enabled (the middle circle with the "-"):
 http://homepage.mac.com/justified_type/discogsdotcom/dtr/no_close_widget.png

 Clicking the "About" results in a very tall window:
 http://homepage.mac.com/justified_type/discogsdotcom/dtr/tall_about.png

 After the very tall "About" pane is clicked, the other panes are cut short:
 http://homepage.mac.com/justified_type/discogsdotcom/dtr/tabs_cut_off.png
 http://homepage.mac.com/justified_type/discogsdotcom/dtr/general_cut_off.png

 Very tall toolbar: http://homepage.mac.com/justified_type/discogsdotcom/dtr/tall_toolbar.png

 Other problem that I've stated is that the prefWindow don't resize automatically to fit it's content, so I used CSS heigth and width properties, but even this properties was ignored in OS X. Is possible to auto resize the prefWindow?

 Another user discovered that the "Very tall toolbar" apparently is caused by the splitter at the end of the toolbar and another reported that this splitter is very low in Mozilla Suite and Seamonkey.

 I really don't know where is the problem. Have I missed some overlay declaration?  don't included some CSS? don't assigned some class?  I'm planning to update all of my extensions to use this codebase, but I must ensure that it works on every platform.

 The prefWindow structure is more or less as below

 <?xml version="1.0"?>
 <?xml-stylesheet href="chrome://global/skin/global.css"?>
 <?xml-stylesheet href="chrome://discogsbar/skin/discogsbar.css" type="text/css"?>

 <!DOCTYPE prefwindow SYSTEM "chrome://discogsbar/locale/discogsbar.dtd">

 <prefwindow
     onload="sizeToContent();"
     id="discogsbar-preferences"
     windowtype="discogsbar-preferences"
     xmlns="http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul">

     <prefpane id="dtb_paneGeneral" label="&dtb.opt.general.paneTitle;" src="chrome://discogsbar/content/paneGeneral.xul" />
     <prefpane id="dtb_paneTabs" label="&dtb.opt.tabs.paneTitle;" src="chrome://discogsbar/content/paneTabs.xul"/>

     <prefpane id="dtb_paneAbout" label="&dtb.opt.about.paneTitle;" flex="1">
         <iframe id="dtb_paneAbout_iframe" src="chrome://discogsbar/content/paneAbout.xul" flex="1"/>
     </prefpane>

 </prefwindow>

 and CSS looks like this

 #discogsbar-preferences {