[Project_owners] Textbox with custom autocomplete

David Murray lid2000 at aanet.com.au
Sat Feb 3 02:23:04 PST 2007

I have attempted to write an XPCOM component in JavaScript that would
pass the string to search for to an external function and get a result
from that, so it'd be reusable for other stuff, but XPCOM is way out of
my depth, and I really don't know what I'm doing. I was using
http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/extensions/cck/prefAutoCompleteService.js
as as my base to work from.

Unfortunately, I am way, way out of my depth when it comes to actually
creating components, so I didn't really get anywhere. I was trying to
create an object that would implement the autocomplete interface, but
contain an extra function that could be mapped to a function in the
regular JavaScript code, so that you could create an autocomplete box
that'd search through anything you want (so long as the results were
returned as an array). I wrote it all, but couldn't figure out how to
make a mappable function or anything, so I gave up.

I don't understand why all the autocomplete stuff has to be so
incredibly complex for a relatively simple effect. If anyone looking for
something to do could create some sort of custom XPCOM component for
searching, I'm sure it wouldn't be just me that'd find it useful.

For now though, I'm giving up and will resort to either an editable
menulist, or try and put a tree inside a popup and try and fake an
autocomplete textbox.

David.