[Project_owners] [Fwd: Getting mozdev.org Off Of Comcast's Email Blacklist]

Eric H. Jung eric.jung at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 16 12:28:51 PST 2007

--- David White <whitedavidp at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It's purpose is to help validate that a
> given email address is, in fact, valid on the smtp server from the
> email's domain. As such, the routine finds the MX servers for the
> domain
> and opens a socket on those servers at port 25. Then a partial SMTP
> conversation occurs over the port to confirm that the email address'
> user is known.

I can't help you with the comcast blacklisting issue (Doug should be able to), but I might have
some code you can reuse/refactor for your needs above. I'm no PHP guru by any means, but I wrote
this back in March of 2004:

http://gallery.menalto.com/node/14756

You don't want to use PHP's mail() function since that will actually send the mail. Try using my
sock_mail() function instead, changing it so no mail is actually sent.

Eric