[Project_owners] Should mozdev.org generate an updates.rdf file for our projects?

Douglas E. Warner silfreed at silfreed.net
Thu Dec 6 18:04:24 PST 2007

On Thursday 06 December 2007, Eric H. Jung wrote:
> That would be really cool. One comment: don't make updates.rdf a
> dynamically generated feed because the cpu overhead will be enormous (think
> millions of firefox installations hitting hundreds of mozdev projects
> periodically for updates). Instead, create a wizard-like webpage (or pages)
> that the project-owners uses to automatically generate the update.rdf file.
> Simply uploading a new XPI to /downloads won't generate a new
> update.rdf--the project owners has to re-run the wizard.

I think there is some additional information needed about each file that is to
be released that needs to be gathered from the project owner before the file
could be added to the updates.rdf feed anyway, so I don't think it would be a
totally automated system.

In my mind, the information that would need to be gathered:
1) file verification hash (enter your either md5 or sha1 hash to verify file
was uploaded correctly)
2) file group (to choose extension, theme, etc)
3) version number
4) "released" (either checkbox or time of when to release the file)
5) update info link

I'm probably missing some information, but after all this the feed could be
generated and cached.

-Doug