[Project_owners] Should mozdev.org generate an updates.rdf file for our projects?

Eric H. Jung eric.jung at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 6 13:26:50 PST 2007

--- "Douglas E. Warner" <silfreed at silfreed.net> wrote:

> I'm basically just trying to think about a couple different bugs I'm working
> on/coming up and see where they're leading.
>
> The bugs I've just finished track what files have recently been added to a
> project.
>
> One of the bugs I'm working on now tracks what applications a project works
> with.
>
> An upcoming bug will verify an uploaded file with a hash (md5/sha1) so we can
> create InstallTrigger() links and install extensions securely.
>
> I'm thinking the next step is to generate an updates.rdf feed; we would only
> need to know how to group certain files together and what type of files they
> are (extension, theme, etc).
>
> Thoughts on this?

That would be really cool. One comment: don't make updates.rdf a dynamically generated feed
because the cpu overhead will be enormous (think millions of firefox installations hitting
hundreds of mozdev projects periodically for updates). Instead, create a wizard-like webpage (or
pages) that the project-owners uses to automatically generate the update.rdf file. Simply
uploading a new XPI to /downloads won't generate a new update.rdf--the project owners has to
re-run the wizard.