[Project_owners] New download file RSS feed

Douglas E. Warner silfreed at silfreed.net
Wed Dec 5 17:51:33 PST 2007

On Wednesday 05 December 2007, Trevor Hobson wrote:
>        Will this feed be updated the moment that a file is uploaded?
>  This would appear to be a little counter productive when people are
> uploading a file to get mirrored before the official release, or are we not
> expecting too many downloads coming from the feeds?
>
>  Also if a user sees the feed and then goes looking to see what has changed
> with this new release and the project page has not yet been updated, due to
> the owner waiting for the mirrors to get updated before changing their page
> content, will this not lead to a bad user experience? It would also be the
> same if they see the feed and expect the update will be immediately
> available, that is the project owner will have updated the update.rdf

Sounds like a good idea to add some type of flag to allow delaying when files
show up;  I'll look into adding that tomorrow and let you know how it works
(probably just another $local_conf flag).

>  Should the project owner have more control over the feed than uploading a
> file? For example what does the project owner do if they want official
> releases in the feed but not test packages?

Filtering wasn't really the design concept; the idea was for a simple feed
that shows updated files.  Now granted, the feature request was years old
(probably before updates.rdf was a supported format for new updates), but it
seemed like a good idea nonetheless for users to be able to keep track of
what projects were doing.

-Doug