[Project_owners] New Adoption Policy proposal

Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla mv_van_rantwijk at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 14:23:10 PDT 2007

David Boswell wrote:
>> But let me ask you this: "Why do you need to become the project owner
>> in the first place, if you can work on any given Open Source project
>> *without* the legal responsibilities that come along with it?"
>
> I think the main issue here is that when a project is truly abandoned,
> someone who would like to work on a project as a contributor can't
> because there is no one to authorize that access.

Sounds like mozdev.org should be granted additional rights (at sign on)
just in case something happens to a project owner, no?

> This is just a
> guess, but I would imagine that most people who have adopted an
> abandoned project would have been happy to have been added as a
> contributor instead if that had been an option.

Probably yes, but what are the definitions of an "abandoned project" and
wouldn't it be nice to learn from them *why* they plan to abandon their
project upfront?

Asking for said legal rights will make things easier for mozdev.org and
people which want to contribute to projects of their likings/interest.

--
Michael Vincent van Rantwijk
- MultiZilla Project Team Lead