[Project_owners] New Adoption Policy proposal

Axel Hecht axel at pike.org
Sun Aug 5 06:47:08 PDT 2007

Scott wrote:

> Ben Bucksch wrote:
>> Note that mail gets lost sometimes due to spam-filters (or lack
>> thereof), people temporarily have little time etc.. Some patches are
>> just overly big and awkward and are rejected because of that, that's not
>> bad ownership. Reviewers may not always have time.
>>
>> If the project is really dead *and* the owner does not respond to
>> repeated attempts to contact, *including* 1-3 official threats from
>> mozdev admins to take over the project, so the "run over by trunk" or
>> similar condition, then I think it's fair, and in the interest of users,
>> for the project to be taken over by a new maintainer (but it still
>> matters who that is).
>>
> Who will be in charge of sending those emails?
> What would be considered a threatening one?
> How far apart would those emails need to sent?
>
>> So, as Alex said: Unless truck: consensus or fork.
>>
> The consensus seems to be leave it as a un-written & informal policy but
> I'll warn everyone on the board here. Right no you only have a handful
> of projects, if it really expands to a large base, which I think it
> will, you will have to come up with a solid policy instead of _wringing
> it_ with a lose informal policy.
>
> I still want to point out a few important things about project takeovers....
>
> 1) It's better to have a new developer for a project that is dead
> instead of creating nTH forks just to carry on the main project. If
> someone wants to take it over and is going to keep the same name why the
> hell would you or anyone else think that is a bad thing? Especially for
> the current users that use that tool/addon ?
>
> 2) Forking the exact same code base to carry on the existing dead
> project..... now you will force them into changing the name when all
> they wanted to do was to carry on the development --- not exactly fair.
>
> 3) How is anyone going to notify the users of that addon/tool that the
> project is dead and no longer maintained and to go this new project
> fork? Many users download the addon once and let the update do the
> rest... some will never ever visit the home page again and will never
> know about the fork.
>
> Those are the important ones..... I got a lot more to point out later on.
>
> -- Scott

You're missing the point, sadly. Please try to take a step back and look
at the problem without your specific situation in mind.

Neither I nor Ben have voiced our opinion on a lax policy, actually it's
a rather strict policy.

All your other comments are addressed already, if you read my post. I'm
a tad vague on the actual team doing the messaging, mostly because I
don't volunteer other people and don't have a role at mozdev myself.

Axel