[Project_owners] New Adoption Policy proposal

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch.news at beonex.com
Sat Aug 4 06:09:07 PDT 2007

Axel Hecht wrote:
> Taking over existing projects no matter which should really just be a
> solution for the case where the owner got run over by a truck.
> Literally. We did this for folks being drafted for military service
> without internet access for > 1 year, for example. One other time I
> looked for an owner of a patch, he was indeed dead.
>
> All other cases should work towards concensus or fork, IMHO.

Agreed.

Note that mail gets lost sometimes due to spam-filters (or lack
thereof), people temporarily have little time etc.. Some patches are
just overly big and awkward and are rejected because of that, that's not
bad ownership. Reviewers may not always have time.

If the project is really dead *and* the owner does not respond to
repeated attempts to contact, *including* 1-3 official threats from
mozdev admins to take over the project, so the "run over by trunk" or
similar condition, then I think it's fair, and in the interest of users,
for the project to be taken over by a new maintainer (but it still
matters who that is).

So, as Alex said: Unless truck: consensus or fork.

Ben