[Project_owners] New Adoption Policy proposal

Axel Hecht axel at pike.org
Sat Aug 4 02:44:19 PDT 2007

A few comments, or just a proposal:

I miss the velvet glove to the iron fist here. I don't think that we're
going to have to deal with this 5 times a day, like I expect that for SF.

So I'd prefer that some kind of drivers try to mediate in what I'd
concern just a conflict between folks.

There should be concrete proposals, like patches. If there's a lack of
uptake on those, that can be for many reasons, and I'd hope that there
is a group, if it's mozdev admins or some larger group, that takes a
look and tries to get people together.

Taking over existing projects no matter which should really just be a
solution for the case where the owner got run over by a truck.
Literally. We did this for folks being drafted for military service
without internet access for > 1 year, for example. One other time I
looked for an owner of a patch, he was indeed dead.

All other cases should work towards concensus or fork, IMHO.

I would expect that in most occasions, a simple "mind taking a look at
that patch and do a review comment?" should be good enough. Or if the
owner says "it's too big and too crufty for me right now", poke
project-owners for a volunteer to do a review. Anyone here CCed on the
xpath generator bug? Nice stuff, still it took a lot of time just
reviewing it.

Whether this ends up with an additional peer or a change in ownership
doesn't really matter to me this much.

Oh, and I think that a year is too long, that's the Firefox release
cycle, roughly. I guess that a month of lack of feedback can be a good
time to poke from mozdev admins. If there is a hard battle going on, we
should be willing and able to mediate earlier, though.

Axel