[Project_owners] New Adoption Policy proposal

David Boswell davidwboswell at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 2 17:02:26 PDT 2007

I think having a more clearly defined adoption policy makes sense.
Let's work through the mechanics of how we want it to work and then we
can add it to the Terms of Use.

So the current system works like this: If someone is interested in
taking over a project that hasn't been updated in a while (defined now
by being a project on the Abandoned projects list) they should email
the project owner and copy a site admin.  If the owner responds and is
willing to hand over the project, the project is handed over.  If the
original owner doesn't respond within a week, the project is handed
over.  If the owner responds and wants to keep the project, the project
is not handed over.

Personally, I think an owner shouldn't be compelled to hand over a
project if they don't want to even if they aren't updating their
project.  Since all code is under an open source license, people can
always take the code and create a new project.  If most people on the
list disagree with this though, we can change the policy.

David