[Project_owners] Error reading preferences

Onno Ekker o.e.ekker at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 08:22:13 PDT 2007

Hello,

I'm trying to read preferences in my Firefox 2.0 extension and I'm
pretty new to it, but I ran into some problems. I get a permission
denied on unnamed class exception in my Error Console. This is what I do:

    |var prefs = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/preferences-service;1"]|

    .getService(Components.interfaces.nsIPrefService)|
    |                      .getBranch("extensions.errorfox.);|

When it gets executed from my extension, is doesn't work:

    Error: uncaught exception: Permission denied to get property
    UnnamedClass.classes

When I execute the javascript straight from the chrome, it works. So
about:netError doesn't work, but
chrome://errorfox/content/netError.xhtml works.
I tried putting the javasource in the .xhtml file or in a separate
chrom://errorfox/content/errorfox.js file, but that didn't make any
difference.
I tried fiddling with XPCNativewrapper setting in my chrome.manifest,
but that didn't seem to help either.

My extension is an extension for Firefox's errorpage, and the errorpage
is loaded with LOAD_BACKGROUND.
Does anyone know if that can cause my problems?
And if it does, is there a workaround?
Maybe I can try to execute this function with a timer or something?
Can code signing help me? And if it can, should I sign the javacode or
should I sign my extension?

Onno