[Project_owners] What program do you use to extract the SeaMonkey source file?

Michael Vincent van Rantwijk mv_van_rantwijk at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 12:25:52 PDT 2007

Neil wrote:
> Michael Vincent van Rantwijk wrote:
>
>> Do I need Cygwin for Linux and MS-Windows or only on the latter?
>
> No, Cygwin, MSYS and Interix are different ways of running Unix tools on
> a Windows platform.

I currently don't use any of them, but I know what Cygwin is, but the
others are new to me (time to do some reading).

I think that I start with some kind of Linux variant, probably like Red
Hat because I have that on CD (first I need a new monitor for the box).
  Any other tips for me?

>> Are there any compilers that are supported by the build process *and*
>> support dual or Intel CoreDuo2 processors?
>
> I don't know of any compilers that can make use of multiple cores or
> processors. However as I mentioned the build system can, although you
> may want to tweak your MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS=-jN to whatever N works best for you.

I will give that a try, when my system and I is ready for it.

>> I now have 1GB RAM in my notebook, but that will be extended/replaced
>> to support a RAM drive.  That should speed up everything, right?
>
> If you're building debug then I wouldn't bother with a RAM drive. If
> you're building opt then a RAM drive should make things really fly.

I need to build both, but the RAM drive will only help for like 5% of
the runs, because I think that I need to compile a lot more debug
builds.  Opt (as in optimized) builds are usually for customers only right?

Thanks for all the info/help,
Michael