[Project_owners] What program do you use to extract the SeaMonkey source file?

Michael Vincent van Rantwijk mv_van_rantwijk at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 08:17:31 PDT 2007

Neil wrote:
> Michael Vincent van Rantwijk wrote:
>
>> I mean what is usually the bottleneck for compilers?  HD, RAM, OS?
>
> It's a combination of factors.
>
> The build system itself involves launching subprocesses, checking
> datestamps and such. This is faster on Linux than it is on Windows,
> although MSYS is slightly better than Cygwin in this respect. (Interix
> is faster than MSYS, but unsupported.) In particular you'll see more of
> a relative benefit of a fast HD on Windows.

Do I need Cygwin for Linux and MS-Windows or only on the latter?

I have a SATA-2 HD in my notebook, but I still want to add a RAM drive
for the compiler, and this is supported for both Linux and MS-Windows
I'm told. Is this correct?

> Compilation and linking is generally a mixture of CPU and HD. This is
> demonstrated by the fact that a parallel make is slightly faster than a
> standard make as while one file is being read from the disk the
> processor can usefully continue to compile a separate file.

Are there any compilers that are supported by the build process *and*
support dual or Intel CoreDuo2 processors?

> However linking debug is the killer, particularly gklayout (non-static)
> or libxul (xulrunner static) or the final executable (static). For
> gklayout you must have 512MB of RAM - it can (eventually) be done in
> 384MB but it wears your disk out (literally - I found out the hard way.)
> For the others, or if you want to use your computer while you're
> linking, you probably need twice as much.

I now have 1GB RAM in my notebook, but that will be extended/replaced to
support a RAM drive.  That should speed up everything, right?

Thanks for all the info!