[Project_owners] Google Browser Sync Settings extension (Aaron, you there?)

Jed Brown jedbro at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 00:50:56 EDT 2006

Gareth Hunt wrote:
> ..
> Given that Mozilla products are released under a MPL/GPL/LGPL tri-license (see http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/), are Google in breach of the licence in not making the source for their extension(s) available?  Or are extension developers free to release code under any licence they please?
>
> I'm not a lawyer and cannot pretend to understand this stuff.  Does anyone have any insight? (Also, is this going off-topic for the list?)

Yes, you can. Given your code is yours and not based upon nor a
derivative of code from a different license. Other rules apply depending
on the License you take up (MPL/GPL/LGPL). As an example, Netscape given
the MPL license could (and did) distribute the Netscape 7 browser under
their own license, however they were required to MPL any of the code
they modified that was originally in Firefox, while keeping any 'fresh'
code under any license they want..

Same applies for extensions I believe (I'm no lawyer :D )

-Jed