[Project_owners] Google Browser Sync Settings extension (Aaron, you there?)

Gareth Hunt gareth-hunt at rocketmail.com
Tue Sep 26 22:54:21 EDT 2006

I think this is what HJ found objectionable:

"Google grants you a personal, non-transferable and non-exclusive right and license to use the object code of its Software on a single computer limited strictly to non-commercial use only by you; provided that you do not (and do not allow any third party to) copy, modify, create a derivative work of, reverse engineer, reverse assemble or otherwise attempt to discover any source code, sell, assign, sublicense, grant a security interest in or otherwise transfer any right in the Software. You agree not to modify the Software in any manner or form, or to use modified versions of the Software, including (without limitation) for the purpose of obtaining unauthorized access to Google services. You agree not to access Google services by any means other than through the interface that is provided by Google for use in accessing Google services."

Given that Mozilla products are released under a MPL/GPL/LGPL tri-license (see http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/), are Google in breach of the licence in not making the source for their extension(s) available?  Or are extension developers free to release code under any licence they please?

I'm not a lawyer and cannot pretend to understand this stuff.  Does anyone have any insight? (Also, is this going off-topic for the list?)

Cheers,
Gareth