[Project_owners] Extensions using RDF and/or localstore

Myk Melez myk at melez.com
Mon Oct 30 15:23:43 PST 2006

Axel Hecht wrote:
> I'd like to know which extensions make use of
>
>   - RDF
>
>   - localstore.rdf besides xul persistance.
>
> If you do, or know an extension that does, I'd be thankful for a short
> description of what/how/why.

Forumzilla uses RDF to track feeds and feed items.  When a user
subscribes to a feed, the extension asserts that subscription and its
metadata into the feeds data source.  Then, for each item in the feed,
the extension asserts its existence, status (i.e. whether or not it has
been downloaded yet; whether or not the feed is still syndicating it),
and some metadata into the feed items data source.

I used RDF because it was the only good structured data store available
in the Mozilla platform at the time I was writing Forumzilla.  But the
extension doesn't particularly take advantage of the strengths of RDF
(i.e. it doesn't model data in complex graph relationships), and if I
was writing the extension today, I would probably use the mozstorage API
instead.

-myk