[Project_owners] icon animation

Didier Ernotte didier at ernotte.com
Mon Oct 2 08:29:21 EDT 2006

It depend on what you want to do. In my extension, while the extension is retrieving data from the web (the active state), I make the main icon "pulse". I have a background thread that change the "transparency" attribute from opaque to transparent to opaque on a fast regular basis. This thread is killed when all data are read.

Didier

"Eric H. Jung" <eric.jung at yahoo.com> wrote: Hi,

I'd like to animate an icon in my extension while it is "active"; i.e., doing something, similar to how the browser throbber is animated while a web page loads. My first thought is to replicate what Firefox does with its throbber: alternate between an animated gif (chrome://global/skin/throbber/Throbber-small.gif) or a static png (chrome://browser/skin/Throbber-small.png). Is there a more efficient way?

Thanks for any ideas,
Eric