[Project_owners] What Linux compiler / distro to use?

Patrick Brunschwig patrick.brunschwig at gmx.net
Tue Nov 28 01:40:11 PST 2006

Brian King wrote:
> I've compiled an XPCOM component for my extension under Fedora FC5 (gcc
> 4 build), and tested it on Ubuntu 5, Suse 10, Linspire 5 and it worked
> fine. I've had user reports that it does not work on Debian Sarge (gcc
> 3.3.5) and Ubuntu edgy-eft.
>
> So my question is: What is the best compiler/distro to compile on to
> ensure best distro coverage? I've had no problems with the Windows or
> Mac binaries.

I think you face a problem that I had as well with Enigmail: you
probably linked against libc version 6, which is not available on older
systems. If you add the following options in your Makefile to
EXTRA_DSO_LDOPTS, then you should be fine:

-nodefaultlibs -Xlinker --unresolved-symbols=ignore-all

You might also check the Enigmail build makefile:
http://www.mozdev.org/source/browse/~checkout~/enigmail/src/build/Makefile.in

-Patrick