[Project_owners] app-startup and xpcom-startup

Eric H. Jung grimholtz at yahoo.com
Fri May 19 14:49:47 EDT 2006

Answering my own question:

The comment about "app-startup" at
http://www.xulplanet.com/tutorials/mozsdk/observerserv.php is slightly
incorrect for services. addCategoryEntry() should look like this:

catman.addCategoryEntry("app-startup", someName, "service," +
  someContractId, true, true);

Example:

catman.addCategoryEntry("app-startup", "foxyproxy_catobserver",
  "service," + "@leahscape.org/firefox/foxyproxy;1", true, true);

Yes, you must prepend "service," to the contract ID. Also, if you've
previously run your component using "xpcom-startup" but then change to
use "app-startup", you must delete compreg.dat and xpti.dat in the
profile directory for the change to be recognized.

-Eric