[Project_owners] Extension updates: mozdev vs mozilla addons

Matthew Wilson matthew at mjwilson.demon.co.uk
Sun May 14 23:32:50 EDT 2006

Tim Williams wrote:
> Hi,
> I've just published my first firefox extension hosted by mozdev and am
> unsure about the best practice for providing automatic updates.
>
> I originally posted my extension on mozdev, complete with an updateURL
> line in my install.rdf pointing to a custom update file on my mozdev site.
>
> Since then, I've also published the extension using mozilla addons where
> i had to remove the updateURL line in order to get addons to publish it
> for me.
>
> Should I continue publishing  a mozdev and mozilla addons copy of each
> version of my extension or stop using the file hosting service provided
> by mozdev, relying on the automatic update feature of mozilla addons
> instead?

One of my extensions is pretty niche, so I just have it on mozdev.

The other probably has fractionally more appeal, so I have it jointly on
mozdev and addons. (Well, actually, I never asked for it to be on
addons, but someone else obviously did, so I keep it there.) The mozdev
version gets more frequent updates - I only bother updating addons after
a mozdev version has been around for a while without problems being
reported.

Matthew