[Project_owners] Mozdev or sourceforge?

Axel Hecht axel at pike.org
Sun May 14 20:47:56 EDT 2006

Eric H. Jung wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> I have one extension hosted at mozdev and one hosted on sourceforge
> (SF), so I think I'm in a good position to provide an opinion. I've
> also hosted other projects on SF over the years. Here's my opinion on
> why mozdev is better:
>
> Pro mozdev reasons:
> -Uptime at mozdev is excellent. SF downtime is a real problem--I'm not
> just talking about web access and download access, I'm talking about
> their tooling: cvs, subversion, ssh, etc. Notice i didn't include
> mirrors outside SF control)
> -Community at mozdev is small enough to make personal connections
> -Built-in version control of your website via CVS
> -Support is prompt, personal, and excellent
>
> Pro SF reasons:
> -Subversion
> -MySQL
> -Shell access
>
> Bottom line: SF has better tooling, but that's about it IMHO.

I personally think that the tooling at SF is inferiour, talking as
someone who has tried to get in-depth info for projects at both sf and
mozdev. The bugtracker used at sf is just crap. Most sf projects only
use a small subset of the tools exposed by the sf project pages, and
it's really tricky to find out what is active, what's just there, and
what's ad-ware for other projects, or just plain ads on all those
project pages. I haven't contributed back to an sf-hosted project in a
*very* long time.

mozdev may offer less, but it's of better quality, and it's easier to
find out what is actually used by a project and what's not.

That aside, mozdev is much more on focus, so it's likely to give you a
better exposure of your project than sf is, where you likely vanish in
the noise.

Axel