[Project_owners] Mozdev or sourceforge?

Eric H. Jung grimholtz at yahoo.com
Sun May 14 10:09:07 EDT 2006

Hi Jason,

I have one extension hosted at mozdev and one hosted on sourceforge
(SF), so I think I'm in a good position to provide an opinion. I've
also hosted other projects on SF over the years. Here's my opinion on
why mozdev is better:

Pro mozdev reasons:
-Uptime at mozdev is excellent. SF downtime is a real problem--I'm not
just talking about web access and download access, I'm talking about
their tooling: cvs, subversion, ssh, etc. Notice i didn't include
mirrors outside SF control)
-Community at mozdev is small enough to make personal connections
-Built-in version control of your website via CVS
-Support is prompt, personal, and excellent

Pro SF reasons:
-Subversion
-MySQL
-Shell access

Bottom line: SF has better tooling, but that's about it IMHO.