[Project_owners] Re: install.js and OSX

Gerald Vogt vogt at spamcop.net
Tue May 9 09:39:25 EDT 2006

Philip Chee wrote:
> In install.js I know I can use Install.platform to detect what the OS is
> (Darwin/Win32/Linux). But how to differenciate between Darwin/PPC and
> Darwin/x86? Note: I don't have a Mac of any sort so please don't say
> "suck it and see".

Well, from the source code I would say it does not know about x86 yet:

http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/xpinstall/src/nsInstall.cpp#326

It just seems to be "Macintosh; PPC". The PPC is fixed coded for
Macintosh. And I can tell you that Firefox reports PPC in its credits on
an Intel iMac. I would say nobody changed that, yet, or better bothered
to figure out whether it runs on Intel or PPC Mac.

Gerald