[Project_owners] I18n

Eric H. Jung grimholtz at yahoo.com
Fri May 5 18:26:14 EDT 2006

> Just for clarification, using localization DTDs as DOCTYPEs is not
> really the best thing since sliced bread, though it works in Mozilla.
>
> 'Real' editors like for example the eclipse wst get confused if the
> DOCTYPE DTD doesn't actually say anything about allowed elements and
> attributes. Thus, the syntax allowing more than one DTD has it's
> benefit
> even if there's just one DTD to include.
>
> Axel

Agreed. When I first learned how localization/i18n was performed in
extensions, I laughed a little bit. It's like using a wrench to bang a
nail: it works, but it's not really the best tool nor was it really
designed for that.

It would be nice if there was some native support in the form of XUL
elements; e.g., referencing a hashmap (associative array) of name/value
pairs in XUL instead of the current method, but I won't hold my breath.
Clearly there are more important issues to tackle in the Mozilla world.