[Project_owners] Re: SmartSync Project and Mozdev Terms of Use

Filippo Possenti filippo.possenti at gmail.com
Tue May 2 22:27:54 EDT 2006

What about writing a short list of "what you can do and what you can't do"?
The communication deficiency caused by too long text is very common.
This is why I initially chose a Creative Commons license for my project.
The Creative Commons team has made a great job in writing a brief
description of what their licenses allow and deny. This helps people
greatly, since in most cases it allow people to know quite instantly if
the program is suitable for them. Plus, by specifying that such a short
list doesn't free the user from reading the full license text, you'll
make clear that the text has the only scope of "covering the most
important concepts".

I don't know if I expressed myself correctly, so I'll make an example:

---
The license you'll have to adopt for your extension, will allow other
users to:
1. use the extension
2. view the sourcecode
3. make derived projects, using your sourcecode as the base

Plus, remember that this small list is not considering many important
things. We recommend reading the full license text at the URL: <license url>
---

This is short enough to be placed inside an e-mail without being ignored...