[Project_owners] Re: SmartSync Project and Mozdev Terms of Use

Adam Judson adamsplugins at gmail.com
Mon May 1 21:58:56 EDT 2006

On 01/05/06, Eric H. Jung <grimholtz at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> > My point was that people who reuse code you don't want reused will
> > probably do so regardless of the license.
>
> Understood, but with that kind of philosophy, we shouldn't have laws
> against murder because people who want to murder will do so regardless
> of laws. :-?

I admire that you can use an analogy you clearly realise is flawed...

So far, laws against murder etc. have only mildly cramped my
activities.  I suspect multiple licences and restrictions on code
reuse would be more of an impediment.

> Secondly, I didn't say that I didn't want to share my source.
> I'm only interested in limiting its reuse.

This sounds like a distinction that would make it hard for me to get
help from your code, despite your intentions.

> Understood. FWIW, my point-of-view has recently shifted from one close
> to yours to the one I have now due to a particularly sour experience
> re: my PasswordMaker extension.

Without the details its hard to judge, but if the problem could not be
resolved with a conversation, I suspect a license change would not
have really made a difference either.