[Project_owners] Re: SmartSync Project and Mozdev Terms of Use

Nickolay Ponomarev asqueella at gmail.com
Tue May 2 04:05:53 EDT 2006

On 5/2/06, Eric H. Jung <grimholtz at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > If someone's point of view is that they would like help, but then
> > don't want to help others
> > by sharing their code, it doesn't seem unreasonable for me to make
> > different decisions about how I help them.
> >

> Firstly, there are many ways to help others: sharing source code is
> just one way. Replying to queries on forums and mailing lists is
> another. Secondly, I didn't say that I didn't want to share my source.
> I'm only interested in limiting its reuse.

I don't think it's fair. You're using code provided by others, but
don't want others to reuse your code?

It's hard to catch code reuse, especially because much code is
borrowed from the mozilla source itself (as well as from various
forums posts etc).

Last, if different licenses are allowed here, it may happen that the
possibility of code reuse is effectively killed because custom
licenses are likely to be incompatible in the sense that you can't
combine code licensed under them.

Nickolay