[Project_owners] jslib

Axel Hecht axel at pike.org
Tue Mar 28 22:09:13 EST 2006

Fabio Serra wrote:
> I would like to use the jslib but what I don't like is that they have to be
> installed as an extension in Mozilla/Firefox.
> I would prefer to simply include jslib in my extension because I don't like
> to have too much dependency. If for some reason the jslib are not updated
> when a new version of Firefox come out, my extension is broken too.
> So, do you know if there is a jslib package that can be simply included
> in my
> own extension?

We're going to have extension dependencies in Firefox 2.0, which is the
right way to fix this problem.

That does put some versioning artwork requirement on jslib, but that's
the way it is (basically, you need to understand what x.x.0.x means for
jslib, and define that).

As for jslib being an extension, I'm sure that there are conflicting
opinions on whether jslib is the right wrapper for some of the APIs or
not, and at least for the RDF part of it I can say that I as an owner of
the RDF module haven't been in the loop. Though jslib precedes my
ownership of RDF, so that milage may vary. I recall not being perfectly
in synch with at least some of what jslib does to RDF, but I don't have
to, as it's an extension ;-).

Axel