[Project_owners] jslib

Fabio Serra faserone at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 23:48:13 EST 2006

2006/3/26, Brian King <brian at mozdev.org>:

> 3) If jslib is not compatible with a version of
> Firefox/Thunderbird/<program here>, just nudge the jslib mailing list
> and we'll strive to make it compatible:
> http://jslib.mozdev.org/list.html
>
> Yes, I'm sure you would release a compatible version asap, in fact my
doubts were mainly theoretical.
Anyway, what I don't have understood is what are the technical reasons
because you decided to develop the jslib as an extension. I prefer to
include the libraries directly in my projects because in this way I have
more control. I can have different versions for different projects and I
don't have to worry if something that can broken my extension changes.
 In the same way I would include some dojo or mochikit libraries I'd like to
do the same with the jslib.
I know that jslib are MPL so I can change any reference from
chrome://jslib/content to point to my extension and probably (I'm not sure I
don't know jslib very well) everything keeps working, but every time a new
jslib version is released I need to merge the files.
So, doesn't exists a jslib version that can be used directly inside a one's
extension (eg: chrome://myexts/content/jlib)? It could be a good idea to
develop a jslib version that is not dependent from the EM and that can be
simply included in the extension?