[Project_owners] Under what conditions can parts of Firefox code be used?

GuruJ GuruJ at mbox.com.au
Tue Mar 14 22:54:49 EST 2006

Wladimir Palant wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm afraid I'm not an expert on the MPL. I "cloned" Firefox' find bar
> for an extension, meaning in particular copying some XUL/JS code, CSS,
> PNG images, localization. My extension is licensed under MPL, what
> should I do to comply with the license terms of Firefox code?

Hi Wladimir,

The main things are that you should preserve all copyright notices, and
you need to make your derived source code available.  Around here, this
typically means uploading your source code to a project's cvs repository
on mozdev.org.

Also, you need to be a little bit careful when re-using images.  Images
can be trademarked and permission required for use in derived projects
(for example, the Firefox logo has restrictions on its use).

-- GuruJ.