[Project_owners] Dialog loosing modality

Paul Tomlin paul at paultomlin.com
Fri Mar 10 15:32:24 EST 2006

Neil wrote:
> Paul Tomlin wrote:
>
>> Heads up really, and pondering the issue.
>>
>> I've just discovered that if I call alert from within the
>> ondialogaccept code of a modal dialog, the dialog looses modality once
>> the alert window has been dismissed.
>>
>> Thus, for Quick File, I can't throw an alert window if something is
>> awry in the folder the user selects, for example.
>>
>> There appear to be a lot of 'modal+alert' bugs in the monster...
>
> We have lots of dialogs that alert when you accept them, such as the
> Filter Editor, which alerts you (for instance) if you didn't give your
> filter a name, and I haven't noticed any modality issues there...

I'll do a bit more digging then, but I can say that I noticed this when
I was returning false from the ondialogaccept (in order to keep the
dialog open) after I'd displayed an alert(). If I changed the alert() to
a dump() then all was as expected.

function onDialogAccept()
{
	alert('foo');	// this looses modality
	/* or */
	dump('foo');	// this maintains modality

	return false;
}

Maybe I've done something else silly, again