[Project_owners] Extension documentation

Axel Hecht axel at pike.org
Fri Jun 9 22:17:43 EDT 2006

Peter Harkins wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there a good source of documentation for extension development
> anywhere? I've found someone's notes[1] and a few basics from
> Mozilla.org[2], but nothing very good at all. It all seems to assume the
> reader just needs a few pointers because they're deeply familiar with
> Firefox internals and development history.
>
> I'm looking to expand the extension I've developed and make it available
> to 1.5 users without losing my 1.0 users, but I'm frustrated by a lack
> of resources. Any suggesstions?

The question itself hints that you're using stuff that isn't stable, and
even more so, changed significantly between 1.0 and 1.5.

I know that there was a migration guide some sort, not sure if that was
more than
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Adapting_XUL_Applications_for_Firefox_1.5.

Anyway, if you're using things we don't consider APIs (because we may
not have APIs there, or because we didn't go through doing that), you'd
hardly find docs, let alone docs that say how to migrate from one to the
other.

To some extent that is what you get from living in an open dynamic
system, it's not stable. And unstable stuff is hardly ever documented.

One tip, use lxr on the aviary tree to find usage of the stuff you use,
and see how they work on the 1.5 tree. But yes, that involves reading
the source, like Nickolay hinted at.

Axel