[Project_owners] Overlay reference ids

massey massey at stlouis-shopper.com
Wed Jul 26 00:00:45 EDT 2006

There is no list of items that can be overlayed because almost any xul
item can be overlayed - including overlays, you just need to know what
item you want to overlay by looking at the xul source of what you want
to add something to .

So overlays work like this:
in a given xul file there are elements that have id's and almost any id
can be overlayed( in other langs they say interpolate), almost any xul
element can contain other xul elements. Lets say there is a menu  you
want to add a menuitem to:
- orginal xul(say in browser.xul): <menu id="CoolMenu"> <menuitem
id="VeryCool"/></menu>
- overlay(say coolmenuOverlay.xul) to add HotItem: <menu id="CoolMenu">
<menuitem="HotItem">
Would overlay the CoolMenu adding HotItem to the end of the menu.
And the chrome.manifest would look like:
overlay chrome://browser/content/browser.xul
chrome://myextension/content/coolmenuOverlay.xul

The main thing is that you overlay an item that has id with a valid xul
item for the widget you are overlaying. Theres more to it than that but
that is the basic idea. Overlays are really pretty simple but can be
confusing until you get the idea, then they seem simple until you get
past the initial basic idea :) They are very similar to compound widgets
in tcl/tk except they can be 'smart' bringing style and
functionality(js) info in with them.