[Project_owners] Printing a Variable.

eric.jung at yahoo.com eric.jung at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 21 16:59:23 EDT 2006

Here's what I do in PasswordMaker. I populate a new tab with the text to print, then open the print dialog for the user to preview and/or print.

var printWindow;
function printSettings() {
  var wm = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/appshell/window-mediator;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIWindowMediator);
  var win = wm.getMostRecentWindow("navigator:browser");
  printWindow = wm.getMostRecentWindow("navigator:browser");
  printWindow.gBrowser.selectedTab = printWindow.gBrowser.addTab("about:blank");
  printWindow.gBrowser.selectedBrowser.addEventListener("load",
    function() {
      var doc = printWindow.gBrowser.contentDocument;
      doc.removeChild(doc.getElementsByTagName("html")[0]);
      isExporting = false;
      var dom = new DOMParser().parseFromString(rdfToHTML(), "text/xml");
      doc.appendChild(dom.documentElement);
      setTimeout(function() {
        // Display the print dialog -- thanks http://lxr.mozilla.org/aviary101branch/source/toolkit/components/printing/content/printUtils.js
        var printSettings, webBrowserPrint;
        try {
          webBrowserPrint = printWindow._content.QueryInterface(Components.interfaces.nsIInterfaceRequestor)
            .getInterface(Components.interfaces.nsIWebBrowserPrint);
          // Get print settings
          var PSSVC = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/gfx/printsettings-service;1"]
                              .getService(Components.interfaces.nsIPrintSettingsService);
          printSettings = PSSVC.globalPrintSettings;
          if (!printSettings.printerName)
            printSettings.printerName = PSSVC.defaultPrinterName;

          // First get any defaults from the printer
          PSSVC.initPrintSettingsFromPrinter(printSettings.printerName, printSettings);
          // now augment them with any values from last time
          PSSVC.initPrintSettingsFromPrefs(printSettings, true, printSettings.kInitSaveAll);
        }
        catch (e) {
          dump(e + "\n");
          return;
        }
        try {
          webBrowserPrint.print(printSettings, null);
        } catch (e) {
          // Pressing cancel is expressed as an NS_ERROR_ABORT return value,
          // causing an exception to be thrown which we catch here.
          // Unfortunately this will also consume helpful failures, so add a
          // dump("print: "+e+"\n"); // if you need to debug
        }}, 2000);
    }, true);
}