[Project_owners] Mozdev Newsgroups

Michael J Gruber fastmail at michaeljgruber.fm
Fri Jul 14 13:22:36 EDT 2006

Pete Collins venit, vidit, dixit 2006-07-13 18:28:
> As part of the migration to the new server, I'd like to know how many
> people use the Mozdev newsgroups.
>
> I think we would rather ditch the newsgroups and just use mailing lists
> as it is one less service to worry about.

I know a lot of users use the groups rather than subscribing to the
list; I'd say users are more willing to "subscribe" to a newsgroup then
to subscribe to a list.

Another point: The typical newsgroup poster reads at least a few recent
posts before posting a questions - he's confronted with the previpous
posts in the reader anyway. The typical mailing list member does not
bother to check the archive.

Personally, I prefer the nntp interface for project_owners over the list.

I'd suggest that if/when nntp is given up on mozdev that /all/ mozdev
lists (which are on news.mozdev) should be accessible through the same
nntp provider (such as gmane); we certainly don't want them distributed
according to each project owner's preference.

Michael