[Project_owners] custom <tree/> issues

Pike pike at kw.nl
Tue Jan 17 03:24:04 EST 2006

Hi

> I am using a <tree/> element and was wondering if it is possible to have
> the <treecell> elements contain mixed elements?

no. the treecell element isn't really xul, it is only
xmlformatted input for the contentview treebuilder.
http://www.xulplanet.com/tutorials/xultu/trees.html

this is typically a question for the xulplanet forums,
you will get lots of response there.
http://www.xulplanet.com/forum/

>Perhaps this could be
> done through binding? For example:
>
> <tree>
>   <treecell>
>     <label value="Go here:" />
>     <label value="www.somesite.com <http://www.somesite.com>"
> class="text-link" />
>     <textbox />
>   </treecell>
> </tree>

don't use < and > inside attributes, use &gt; and &lt;

is it necessary to split those labels ? wouldn't
one label be enough ? if it isn't, why dont you
use two colums ?

if the class attribute refers to a binding, it will not work.
if it is only used for styling, read
http://www.xulplanet.com/tutorials/xultu/treestyle.html

you can catch the cell the user clicked on in an event,
read the contents of the cell and parse it, if you like.
for example (untested!):

	var treeBox = tree.treeBoxObject;
        var row = {}; var col = {}; var obj = {};
        treeBox.getCellAt(event.clientX,event.clientY,row,col,obj);
	var text = tree.view.getCellText(row.value,col.value);

> I can do this with a <listbox/> but when I have a lot of rows (like 200)
> the scrolling gets delayed.
200 items should not really be a problem though ..
try it with 'normal' listitems.

$2c,
*pike