[Project_owners] Communicating between browser instances

Eric H. Jung grimholtz at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 15 07:15:52 EST 2006

I don't think he's asking how to fix SwitchProxy; he's asking more of a
general extension design question. And the correct answer, AFAIK, is
not to commmunicate changes between instances of your extension via
preference updates, but to prevent multiple instances of your extension
*in the first place*. Mook's XPCOM (can be done in JS, C++ not needed)
suggestion is the way to go.

This has been discussed ad naseum at forums.mozillazine.org. I did a
brief search to try to find some topics about it for you, but didn't
come up with *precisely* what you're looking for. Here's a thread which
discusses how to write and register a component in your extension.
There *are* definitely, however, threads specifically addressing your
question... do a little more thorough searching, or simply post there
and ask--someone is bound to have the links.

Regards,
Eric Jung