[Project_owners] Mozilla.org extension approval time

HJ van Rantwijk bugs4hj at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 9 08:08:31 EST 2006

Roman Mironenko wrote:
> I have my extensions at mozdev.org (for almost a year now) for a reason,
> anyone can go and check the code out, anyone can update from there.  But
> obviously mozilla.org is more popular with users, so I listed extensions
> with them for more access.  All I am saying is that if I wanted to do
> some damage with my code, I wouldn't register with any oss site, I would
> develop a few extensions at home, would submit them to mozilla.org from
> different anonymous IP addresses under fake names, fake email accounts.
> The extensions would complement each other in their viral functionality
> but would look harmless seperate from each other.  That is what I would
> do if I wanted to attack someone's machine, not discuss better upgrade
> strategies on this mailing list.
>
> What I am going to do is give the end user a choice to upgrade from
> mozdev.org, make it a clear choice and let the user to select whether he
> wants this choice or not through the settings menu.
>
> I am sure more people are going to do the same and soon if mozilla.org
> site will not be able to run approval processes faster.

We, the MultiZilla project, doesn't use UMO and we don't need them
either. We're still happy with mozdev.org and the people working there.

FYI: our project was the first to include an automatic update script
(read component), something that you can find in Firefox today (be it
more advanced). The first web based update file (updates.rdf) is
committed in 2001, but there's only a traceback to the file Raj (our
webmaster) committed on: Thu Aug 29 08:24:52 2002 UTC because we had to
re-commit all our files (Pete should still know about this problem).

Anyway, Raj's commit is already a whopping 3 years and 4 months ago:

http://www.mozdev.org/source/browse/multizilla/www/xpi/updates.rdf
note the: "Still trying to fix repository".

In short, Mozilla simply copied my idea, and that is not the first time ;)

/HJ