[Project_owners] Custom alert slider

Dan Lee daniel.eric.lee at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 08:01:26 EST 2006

Hi all,

In my extension I currently display an alert slider (by using the mozilla
alert
component) similar to that used by Thunderbird to notify you of new mail.
Instead of using the existing alert APIs, I want to use my own custom
window.

I have it mostly working, but there's one thing I can't figure out - how can
force my alert window to have focus, even when Firefox itself does not have
focus?  The Thunderbird alert, for instance, displays on top of other OS
application windows, even if Firefox is minimized.  I would like this same
functionality. The way I have it now, my alert only has the focus of Firefox
itself; so if another application window is on top of Firefox, my alert
window
will show below the other application window. I would like to force it on
top of
any windows - I know it must be possible since the mozilla
showAlertNotification
does it somehow, but I can't figure it out.  Maybe I need to utilize some
XPCOM
interface or something.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Dan

P.S.  Thanks to those who sent suggestions regarding retrieving the
timestamp
from a remote file.  I think that we will use the approach that was
suggested of
storing a small file containing a hash/timestamp and first download that to
see
if the remote file needs to be downloaded.