[Project_owners] Mozilla.org extension approval time

Axel Hecht axel at pike.org
Mon Jan 9 11:04:55 EST 2006

Roman Mironenko wrote:
> Guys, is anyone else experiencing extremely slow approval times for
> updating their extensions at mozilla.org?  I have submitted updates for
> two extensions to that site at least 2 weeks ago, maybe more, they still
> did not even look at them.  I am wondering if it is just me or is it
> like that for everyone? :)
> thanks,
> Roman

I would like to comment on the general version numbers and release
cycles I read in this thread.

umo is really something to get good and ready extensions to users in the
large in a half-way secure way, with a chance to pull the plug if
something is found out to be evil.

I'm not convinced that asking other volunteers to review an 0.0.0.2
extension, expecting another version to come in in a week or two is the
appropriate way of dealing with those ressources. If I was watching
this, I'd be burnt out heavily within a few days and wouldn't bother
looking at anything new unless I'd be really bored.

This is my personal feeling, but pre-alpha work should rather go through
the loops of finding a small user base which can handle non-standard
install locations and get the extension to a state that is actually
stable for enough for a deployment in the millions.

Axel