[Project_owners] Mozilla.org extension approval time

Axel Hecht axel at pike.org
Mon Jan 9 10:59:58 EST 2006

Roman Mironenko wrote:
> I put together a script that figures out my extension version, checks
> the update.rdf file at mozdev.org, compares the versions, downloads the
> new XPI if there is one and asks the user if he wants to install the new
> extension from his own temporary directory on his machine (so it starts
> the download manager with the extension's url originating from the local
> host.)
>
> This means that I can force the user to upgrade from the site I want
> instead of the mozilla.org site.
>
> Now I am thinking about sending this new upgrade to be approved at
> mozilla.org, this way I can get upgrades to the users faster.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

This actually scares the hell out of me.

There is a good reason why we limit extensions to update from
https://umo, and that you hack side paths to that code is something that
I would consider a reason to pull the extension from umo.

Please get that algorithm whitecarded by beltzner, who's heading umo
these days.

Axel