[Project_owners] Get timestamp of a remote file?

Eric H. Jung grimholtz at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 6 08:46:52 EST 2006

Dan,
You might consider something more accurate like comparing MD5/SHA-1
hashes of the two files (local and remote) instead of timestamps
because clocks can be changed on each system and/or be out-of-synch. Of
course, if you use MD5/SHA-1 hash, you must download the whole remote
file to calculate that value (or, alternatively, upload the hash as a
small separate file whenever the full calendar is uploaded. You then
only need to download a small file to access the calendar's hash).

mozilla.org/network/io-service;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIIOService)<http://mozilla.org/network/io-service;1%22%5D.getService%28Components.interfaces.nsIIOService%29>

mozilla.org/network/stream-loader;1"].createInstance(Components.interfaces.nsIStreamLoader)<http://mozilla.org/network/stream-loader;1%22%5D.createInstance%28Components.interfaces.nsIStreamLoader%29>