[Project_owners] Get timestamp of a remote file?

Dan Lee daniel.eric.lee at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 10:00:21 EST 2006

Does anyone know of a way to get the timestamp for a remote file?

For our project ReminderFox we have code to download/upload a calendar
file via FTP or WebDAV.  We would like to do this automatically and be
smart about it -- that is, only have to download the remote calendar
file if it actually differs from the file on the local system. I thought
the best way would be to check the timestamp of the remote file, but I
am not sure how this can be done.
For downloading the file, I was utilizing code of this sort:

var ioService  =
this._channel = ioService.newChannelFromURI( aURI );
if(aURI.scheme=="http" || aURI.scheme=="https")
 this._channel.loadFlags |=
 this.streamLoader.init(this._channel, this , null);

Since it's just dealing with streams, I am not sure if there's any way
to get the timestamp of the file that the stream was created from.  Has
anyone done anything similar or having any ideas of how I could do this?