[Project_owners] extensions/{GUID} folder erased on install

Philip Chee philip.chee at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 12:26:40 EST 2006

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 16:17:35 -0800 (PST), Carl wrote:
> Fellow Mozdev Project Gods and Godesses,

> I asked this a while ago and didn't get any answers.  This is a serious problem for me.
> The extensions/{GUID} folder is cleared out when my extension is installed.
> This only happens in Firefox 1.5.

I believe that this was done by design during the rewrite of the
EM/xpinstall code for Firefox 1.5. The extension installation procedure is
now staged with a fallback at each stage and significantly more error
checking. The reason that all files in the extensions/{GUID} directory are
deleted was that some extensions would leave behind old files in those
directories that they shouldn't. When a newer version of the extension was
installed, older versions of these files were picked up causing mysterious
problems and js errors in these extensions. It was believed that a clean
slate would eliminate these hard to diagnose problems.

> Am I just going to have to ignore the fact that i worked hard to make my
> extension's settings/data upwards compatible? Firefox anhilates these files.

> Does anyone know if it is possible that i am just doing something wrong?

Yes, you should have put your persistent data in the profile or
profile/chrome directory. Mnheny, Launchy, CTB and most other extensions
that I have investigated do it this way.

> Is there at least anyone else that has this problem and is angry about it?

No. It's just you not following recommended practices.

> Thanks,
> Carl Nygaard

Phil
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/
[ ]Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out alive.
* TagZilla 0.059