[Project_owners] clearing variables

Rod Whiteley rod.whiteley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 19:12:09 EST 2006

Eric H. Jung wrote:
> I suppose that question can be answered by someone who knows whether or
> not properties of a variable are deleted when the variable itself is
> deleted. Anyone?

Of course they are, but even that's not the whole point.  Suppose your
code executes:

foo = "sensitive data"

and later it executes:

foo = null

The string "sensitive data" is probably still in memory*, even though
the memory is available for reuse and might be overwritten later.  Writing:

delete foo

is no help.  That only affects memory used by the property itself.

* And that's my question: is unused memory cleared immediately, or
cleared later by the garbage collector, or (most likely) not cleared at
all until something else happens to overwrite it?

--
Rod Whiteley