[Project_owners] Static memory posibilities...

Eric H. Jung grimholtz at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 5 11:08:53 EST 2006

--- Philip Chee <philip at aleytys.pc.my> wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 00:59:16 +0100, yaa at euronet wrote:
>
> > Is it posible to store a considerable amount of data in a
> preference on the
> > client's browser? Is there a maximum string size?
> > I want to know if I do that, will this punish it the user in speed
> or not.
> > And if it goes against etiquette.
>
> > Let me explain, I am the developer of Sitebar Client.
> > The developer of the Sitebar Server asked me if I can somehow keep
> the sidebar
> > from reloading while keeping the content it had before closing.
> > I don't want to mess with the default working of firefox it's
> reloading every
> > time the sidebar is opened, if I can help it.
>
> > So my plan was to cache the page in a string, not uncommon in the
> server land
> > of webprogramming, and put it back just after reloading of the
> sidebar.
> > Unless somebody on this list know an alternative way to deal with
> this, in
> > that case I am all ears(eyes).
>
> You can create an in-memory RDF datasource. This will automatically
> be
> cached by the RDF cache. This should persist across the sidebar
> open/close
> cycles. You can also store the RDF datasource as a file in the user's
> profile directory making the data persistent across browser startup/
> shutdowns.
>
> PasswordMaker makes extensive use of RDF, perhaps you could ask Eric
> how he
> does stuff like this?

I would be glad to help, but I don't really understand problem. It
sounds like, when the sidebar is opened, he wants it to display its
previous content without hitting a server to download this information.
Is that correct? If so, I agree with Phil that using an enormous string
preference to cache this information is not very elegant.

Whether you cache in-memory or on disk simply depends on whether or not
you want the cache to persist across browser invocations.