[Project_owners] non-visual extension

Philip Chee philip.chee at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 12:23:22 EST 2006

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 01:08:55 -0200, Marcelo Andrade wrote:

> I'd like to start a project to an extension that modify only the
> FF's behaviour to interpret other client-side script languages.
> I just started to learn XUL and I see that it's mainly for visual
> representation but I'm not sure that can help me with my
> project.

As far a I know, this needs to be done in core in C++. Currently there is a
long term plan for language agnostic scripting in chrome (but not content)
but I think this will be in the Gecko 2.0 timeframe. Currently work is being
done for python language bindings. Even if this is extended to content
scripting I think you will need to recompile Firefox to include whatever
language interpreter you need.

> So, as a beginner mozdeveloper, I'd like some tips about
> how to develop a non-visual extension.

As to that, just don't include *any* UI elements in your extension. For
example jslib is an extension that doesn't have any.

Phil
[ ]If you hear an Onion ring, please answer it!
* TagZilla 0.059